Abdulsalam Mohammed Qasem Al-Mekhlafi
Name: Abdulsalam Mohammed Qasem Al-Mekhlafi
Designation: Associate Professor
Position: Deputy Dean for Academic Affairs, Graduate Studies and Scientific Research
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Department of Parasitology (Head of the department), Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Sana’a University, Yemen
P.O. BOX: 13078 Sana’a
Member of the Faculty council and also a member of several committees in the faculty. Member of the editorial board of the journal issued by the faculty. Participation in the supervision and discussion of many masters and Ph.D thesis. Participation in many local and international conferences. Contribute to the publication of many research papers in international refereed journals, as well as the reviewer of many scientific articles.
Doctor of Philosophy in Molecular Parasitology (2011), University of Malaya (UM), Malaysia.
Master of Medical Science in Parasitology (2008), National University of Malaysia (UKM), Malaysia.
Bachelor degree in Medical Laboratory (1997), Sana’a University, Yemen.
Genetics, Malaria- Blood and tissue parasites-Intestinal parasitic infections- Schistosomiasis.
Type of skills
- Statistical analysis using SPSS (Univariate, Multivariate, Parametric and non-parametric tests)
- PCR techniques, fragment analysis using restriction enzymes, Taqman genotypes, Real time PCR and Cloning techniques.
- Data base searching and multiple sequence alighnment.
- Phylogenetic analysis based on Maximum Parsimony and Neighbor-joining method using Mega4.
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Conferences and Workshops:
- Abdulsalam M. Q. Al-Mekhlafi, Mohammed A. K. Mahdy, Ahmed A. Azazy and Fong MunYik .Molecular detection of Plasmodium falciparumchloroquine resistance in Yemen. Malaysian Society of Parasitology and Tropical Medicine (MSPTM) 47th Annual Conference, Kuala Lumpur. 3-4 March 2011., 3 Mar 2011 to 4 Mar 2011, Malaysian Society of Parasitology and Tropical Medicine, (National).P78
- Wahib M Atroosh, Hesham M Al-Mekhlafi, Mohammed AK Mahdy, Riyadh SaifAli,Nazeh M Al-abd, Abdulsalam MQ Al-Mekhlafi, Nabil A Nasr and JohariSurin.Genetic diversity of Plasmodium falciparum isolated from peninsular Malaysia based on MSP1 & MSP2 genes. Malaysian Society of Parasitology and Tropical Medicine (MSPTM) 47th Annual Conference, Kuala Lumpur. 3-4 March 2011., 3 Mar 2011 to 4 Mar 2011, Malaysian Society of Parasitology and Tropical Medicine, (National).P67
- M.Q. AL-MeKhlafi , M. A.K. Mahdy, A. A. Azazy , Y. L. Lau , M. Y. Fong . Molecular phylogeny of Plasmodium species prevalent in Yemen. XIIth International Congress of Parasitology (ICOPA), Melbourne, Australia. 15-20th August 2010, 18 Aug 2010 to 18 Aug 2010, World Federation of Parasitologist, (International).
- Mohammed A.K. Mahdy, Hesham M. Al-Mekhlafi, Abdulsalam M. Al-Mekhlafi, Yvonne A.L. Lim, Ahmed A. Azazy and Rohela Mahmud. Molecular characterization of Leishmania species isolated from cutaneous leishmaniasis in Yemen, XIIth International Congress of Parasitology (ICOPA), Melbourne, Australia. 15-20th August 2010, 18 Aug 2010 to 18 Aug 2010, World Federation of Parasitologist, (International).
- Abdulsalam Mohammed Qasem Al-Mekhlafi, Fong MunYik, Ahmed A. Azazy, Prevalence and risk factors of protozoal infections among patients attending hospitals in Sana’a City, Yemen., Malaysian Society of Parasitology and Tropical Medicine (MSPTM) 46th Annual Conference, Kuala Lumpur. 24-25 March 2010, 24 Mar 2010 to 25 Mar 2010, Malaysian Society of Parasitology and Tropical Medicine, (National).
- Abdulsalam M. Q. Al-Mekhlafi, Fong MunYik , Ahmed A. Azazy, andMohammed A. K. Mahdy.Environmental and behavioural risk factors of endemic malaria in Yemen. Joint International Tropical Medicine Meeting. Bangkok, Thailand (3-4 December 2009). (International). (Oral presentation).
- Abdulsalam Mohammed Qasem Al-Mekhlafi, Fong Mun Yik, Ahmed A. Azazy, Mohammed Abdu Khalid Mahdy (2009). Study on the prevalence of malaria among patients with fever in Hodiedah Province, Yemen. 45th Annual Scientific Seminar of the Malaysian Society of Parasitology and Tropical Medicine, Kuala Lumpur, pg. 55. (National).
- Abdulsalam Al-Mekhlafi,Fatmah MS, Anisah N, Azlin M, Rozlida AR, Hesham Al-Mekhlafi MS, Norhayati M. Gram-chromotrope-kinyoun stain for detecting Microsporidia spores in faecal specimens. Joint International Tropical Medicine Meeting. Bangkok, Thailand (29-30 November 2007). (International). Oral presentation.
- First Laboratory medicine conference. Sana’a, Yemen, March 2020. National.
- Second Laboratory medicine conference. Sana’a, Yemen, March 2021. National.
Research and scientific papers:
- Nur Alia Johari , Dhekra Amin Annuzaili , Hani Farouk El-Talabawy , Maryam Ba-Break , Abdulsalam M Al-Mekhlafi , Samira Al-Eryani , Abdulhakim Ali Alkohlani , Albis Francesco Gabrielli , Riadh Ben-Ismail , Sami Alhaidari , Adel Muaydh , Rasheed Alshami , Magid Al Gunaid , Alaa Hamed , Nehad Kamel , Karen Palacio , Fiona Fleming , Michael Duncan French. National mapping of schistosomiasis, soil-transmitted helminthiasis and anaemia in Yemen: Towards better national control and elimination. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2022 Mar 25;16(3):e0010092. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0010092. eCollection 2022 Mar.
- Al-Awadi AAH, Abdul-Ghani R, Al-Mekhlafi AM. Toxoplasma gondii Infection Among Institutionalized Children with Down syndrome in Sana’a city, Yemen: Implications of Low IgG Seroprevalence. Acta Parasitol. 2021 Oct 8:1-5. doi: 10.1007/s11686-021-00473-6. Online ahead of print. PMID: 34623612
- Al-Haidari SA, Mahdy MAK, Al-Mekhlafi AM, Al Murisi WMS, Thabit AAQ, Al-Amad MA, Al-Shamahi H, Bahashwan OS, Al Serouri A. Intestinal schistosomiasis among schoolchildren in Sana’a Governorate, Yemen: Prevalence, associated factors and its effect on nutritional status and anemia. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2021 Sep 21;15(9):e0009757. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0009757. eCollection 2021 Sep. PMID: 34547034
- Mahdy MAK, Abdul-Ghani R, Abdulrahman TAA, Al-Eryani SMA, Al-Mekhlafi AM, Alhaidari SAA, Azazy AA. Onchocerca volvulus infection in Tihama region – west of Yemen: Continuing transmission in ivermectin-targeted endemic foci and unveiled endemicity in districts with previously unknown status. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2018 Mar 5;12(3):e0006329. doi: 10.1371/journal.
5. Al-Eryani SMA, Mahdy MAK, Al-Mekhlafi AM, Abdul-Ghani R. Access to and use of long-lasting insecticidal nets and factors associated with non-use among communities in malaria-endemic areas of Al Hudaydah governorate in the Tihama region, west of Yemen. Malar J. 2017 Jun 9;16(1):244. doi: 10.1186/s12936-017-1894-9.
- AL-MEKHLAFI, Abdulsalam M.; AL-ERYANI, Samira M. A. Prevalence and risk factors for Trichomonas vaginalis infection among pregnant women seeking primary health care in Sana’a city, Yemen. YEMENI JOURNAL FOR MEDICAL SCIENCES, [S.l.], v. 11, n. 1, aug. 2017. ISSN 2227-961X. doi: https://doi.org/10.20428/YJMS.11.1.A2.
- Mahdy MA, Alareqi LM, Abdul-Ghani R, Al-Eryani SM, Al-Mikhlafy AA, Al-Mekhlafi AM, Alkarshy F, Mahmud R. A community-based survey of Toxoplasma gondii infection among pregnant women in rural areas of Taiz governorate, Yemen: the risk of waterborne transmission. Infect Dis Poverty. 2017 Feb 13;6(1):26. doi: 10.1186/s40249-017-0243-0.
- Abdulsalam M. Al-Mekhlafi, Rashad Abdul-Ghani, Samira M. Al-Eryani, Reyadh Saif-Ali, Mohammed A.K. Mahdy. School-based prevalence of intestinal parasitic infections and associated risk factors in rural communities of Sana’a, Yemen. Acta Trop. 2016 Nov;163:135-41. doi: 10.1016/j.actatropica.2016.08.009.
- Alyousefi TA, Abdul-Ghani R, Mahdy MA, Al-Eryani SM, Al-Mekhlafi AM, Raja YA, Shah SA, Beier JC. A household-based survey of knowledge, attitudes and practices towards dengue fever among local urban communities in Taiz Governorate, Yemen. BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Oct 7;16(1):543.
- Samira M. Al-Eryani, Abdulsalam M Al-Mekhlafi, Latifa A Al-Shibani, Mohammed A. K. Mahdy, Ahmed A Azazy. Toxoplasma gondii among pregnant women in Yemen: Factors associated with the high seroprevalence. The Journal of Infection in Developing Countries. 2016 Jun 30;10(6):667-672. doi: 10.3855/jidc.6638. (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication )
- Rashad Abdul-Ghani, Mohammed A.K. Mahdy Reyadh Saif-Ali,Sameer A. Alkubati, Abdulhabib R. Alqubaty, Abdullah A. Al-Mikhlafy, Samira M. Al-Eryani , Abdulsalam M. Al-Mekhlafi and Ali Alhaj. Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency among Yemeni children residing in malaria-endemic areas of Hodeidah governorate and evaluation of a rapid diagnostic test for its detection. Malaria journal 2016 15:327 DOI:10.1186/s12936-016-1372-9
12. Mohammed A.K. Mahdy, Abdulsalam M. Al-Mekhlafi, Rashad Abdul-Ghani, Reyadh Saif-Ali, Hesham M. Al-Mekhlafi, Samira M. Al-Eryani , Yvonne AL Lim, Rohela Mahmud. First Molecular Characterization of Leishmania Species Causing Visceral Leishmaniasis among Children in Yemen. PLoS One. 2016 Mar 11;11(3):e0151265. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0151265. eCollection 2016.
- Ali Saad R. Alsubaie, , Ahmed A. Azazy, Eltigani O. Omer, Latifa A. Al-shibani, Abdulsalam Q. Al-Mekhlafi, Faiz A. Al-Khawlani. Pattern of parasitic infections as public health problem among school children: A comparative study between rural and urban areas. Journal of Taibah University Medical Sciences. doi:10.1016/j.jtumed.2016.10.006
- Al-Hamidhi S, Mahdy MA, Idris MA, Bin Dajem SM, Al-Sheikh AA, Al-Qahtani A, Al-Hashami Z, Al-Farsi H, Al-Mekhlafi AM, Saif-Ali R, Beja-Pereira A, Babiker HA. The prospect of malaria elimination in the Arabian Peninsula: a population genetic approach. Infect Genet Evol. 2014 Oct;27:25-31.
- Awatif M. Abdulsalam, Init Ithoi, Hesham M. Al-Mekhlafi, Abdulsalam M. Al-Mekhlafi, Abdulhamid Ahmed and Johari Surin. Subtype distribution of Blastocystis isolates in Sebha, Libya. Plos One 2013; 2013 Dec 20;8(12):e84372. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0084372.
- Al-Abd NM, Mahdy MA, Al-Mekhlafi AM, Snounou G, Abdul-Majid NB, Al-Mekhlafi HM, Fong MY. The Suitability of P. falciparum Merozoite Surface Proteins 1 and 2 as Genetic Markers for In Vivo Drug Trials in Yemen. PLoS One. 2013 Jul 4;8(7):e67853. (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication).
- Al-Hamidhi S, Mahdy MA, Al-Hashami Z, Al-Farsi H, Al-Mekhlafi AM, Idris MA, Beja-Pereira A, Babiker HA. Genetic diversity of Plasmodium falciparum and distribution of drug resistance haplotypes in Yemen. Malar J. 2013 Jul 15;12(1):244. (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication).
- Rashad Abdul-Ghani, Hoda F. Farag, Amal F. Allam, Sherine M. Shawky, Abdulsalam M. Al-Mekhlafi. Mutant Plasmodium falciparum chloroquine resistance transporter in Hodeidah, Yemen: association with parasitologic indices and treatment-seeking behaviors. Acta Tropica 2013 Dec;128(3):473-8. (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- Abdul-Ghani R, Al-Mekhlafi AM and Panagiotis Karanis. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) for malarial parasites of humans: Would it come to clinical reality as a point-of-care test? (2012). ActaTropica 112(3): 233-240. (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- Abdul-Ghani R, Al-Mekhlafi AM and Alabsi MS. Microbial control of malaria: biological warfare against the parasite and its vector. ActaTropica 121(2): 71-84. (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication).
21. Latifa A. Al-Shibani, Samira M. A. Al-Eryani, Ahmed A. Azazy and Abdulsalam M. Al-Mekhlafi. 2012. Cases of hydatidosis in patients referred to Governmental hospitals for cyst removal in Sana’a City, Republic of Yemen.Tropical Biomedicine 29(1)18:23.
- Wahib M. Atroosh, Hesham M. Al-Mekhlafi, Mohammed A.K. Mahdy, Riyadh Saif-Ali, Abdulsalam M. Al-Mekhlafi and Johari Surin. 2011. Genetic diversity of Plasmodium falciparum isolates from Pahang, Malaysia based on MSP-1 and MSP-2 genes. Parasites and Vectors 13(4) 233. (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- Mahdy, M., Al-abd, N., Al-Mekhlafi, A., Abdul-Majed, N., Al-Mekhlafi, H., Fong, M. 2011. Genetic diversity of Plasmodium falciparum isolated from Yemen based on the genes of merozoite surface proteins (MSP) 1 and 2. Tropical Medicine & International Health. 16:120-121. (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- MunYik Fong, Yee-Ling Lau, Lit-Chien Chin and Abdulsalam M. Al-Mekhlafi. Sequence analysis on the mitochondrial COXI gene of recent clinical isolates of Plasmodium knowlesiin Klang valley, peninsular Malaysia. Tropical Biomedicine 28(2): 457–463 (2011)
- Yee-Ling Lau, Mun-Yik Fong, Rohela Mahmud, Phooi-Yee Chang, VanithaPalaeya ,Fei-Wen Cheong, Lit-Chein Chin, Claudia Nisha Anthony, Abdulsalam M. Al-Mekhlafi ,Yeng Chen. Specific, Sensitive and Rapid Detection of Human Plasmodium knowlesiInfection by Loop-mediated Isothermal Amplification (LAMP) Method in Blood Samples. Malar J. 2011 Jul 20;10(1):197
- Abdulsalam M. Al-Mekhlafi, Mohammed A.K. Mahdy, Hesham M. Al-Mekhlafi, Ahmed A. Azazy, Fong MY. High frequency of Plasmodium falciparumchloroquine resistance marker (pfcrt T76 mutation) in Yemen: An urgent need to re-examine malaria drug policy. Parasit Vectors 2011 4:94. doi:10.1186/1756-3305-4-94. (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- M. Al-Mekhlafi, H. M. Al-Mekhlafi, M. A. K. Mahdy, A. A. Azazy, M. Y. Fong. 2011. Human malaria in the highlands of Yemen. Annals Tropical Medicine and Parasitology. 105(3): 187-195. (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- M Abdulsalam Al-Mekhlafi, MS Fatmaha, N Anisah, M Azlin, Hesham M Al-Mekhlafi and M Norhayati. 2011. Species Identification of Intestinal Microsporidia Using Immunofluorescence Antibody Assays . Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health. 42(1):19-24. (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- Fatmah Md Salleh, Abdulsalam M. Al-Mekhlafi, AnisahNordin, Azlin M. Yasin, Hesham M. Al-Mekhlafi, NorhayatiMoktar. 2011. Evaluation of gram-chromatropekinyoun staining technique: its effectiveness in detecting Microsporidia spores in faecal specimens. Diagnostic Microbiology & Infectious Disease 69: 82-85 (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- Hesham M. Al-Mekhlafi, Mohammed AK. Mahdy, Atiya AS., Ariffin WA., Abdulsalam M. Al-Mekhlafi, Adel A. Amran and JohariSurin. 2011. Nutritional and socioeconomic determinants of cognitive function and educational achievement of aboriginal schoolchildren in rural Malaysia. British Journal Nutrition. 105(9) doi:10.1017/S0007114511001449 (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- Abdulsalam MQ Al-Mekhlafi, Mohammed AK Mahdy, Ahmed A. Azazy, Fong MY (2010). Clinical situation of endemic malaria in Yemen. Trop Biomed 27: 551-558 (ISI-Cited Publication)
- Al-MekhlafiA AM, Mahdy MA, A Azazy A, Fong MY (2010). Molecular epidemiology of Plasmodium species prevalent in Yemen based on 18 s rRNA. Parasit Vectors 2010, 3(1):110. (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication).
- Mahdy MA, Al-Mekhlafi HM, Al-Mekhlafi AM, Lim YA, Bin Shuaib NO, Azazy AA, Mahmud R: Molecular characterization of Leishmania species isolated from cutaneous leishmaniasis in Yemen. PLoS ONE 2010, 5(9). (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- Hesham M. Al-Mekhlafi, Mohammed AK. Mahdy, Atiya AS., Ariffin WA., Abdulsalam M. Al-MekhlafiandJohari Surin.2010. Does mega-dose vitamin A supplementation protect schoolchildren from acquiring severe soil-transmitted helminthiasis? A randomized controlled trial. (Under Review). (ISI/SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- Riyadh Saif-Ali, SekaranMuniandy, Zaid Al-Hamodi, Lee Cheng Siang, Khaled A. Ahmed, Abdulsalam M. Al-Mekhlafi, Ikram Shah Ismail. KCNQ1 variants associate with type 2 diabetes in Malaysian Malay subjects. AnnalsAcademy of Medicine Singapore 40 (11) 488-492.