Abdulhameed A. Ashuja’a
Associate Professor of Applied Linguistics- Teaching Applied Linguistics courses and Translation courses at BA and MA programs; and supervising MA and PhD studies in Applied Linguistics and Translation (See below)
Vice-Dean for Quality Assurance: Faculty of Languages, Sana’a University
(Responsible for staff capacity building in the area of program and course specifications in accordance with the standards of quality assurance and academic accreditation, as well as training on teaching skills and evaluation)
- 2001- 2004 D. in Applied Linguistics (in the field of English for Specific Purposes), Deccan College, India. Dissertation Title: “Business English in Yemen: An Empirical Study of Needs Analysis”
- 2000- 2001 Post-Graduate Diploma in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL), CIEFL, Hyderabad, India.
- 1997-1999 A. in Linguistics, Deccan College, India.
- 1988-1992 A. in English, College of Education, Baghdad University, Iraq.
Since I received my PhD degree in 2004, I
- Have been teaching a number of courses for undergraduate students.
- Have been teaching courses for graduate students of translation and linguistics, including Research Methods and Advanced Academic Writing
- Have participated in a number of workshops, seminars, symposia and conferences, locally, regionally and internationally.
- Have reviewed a number of research articles for local and regional academic institutions.
- Have supervised a number of MA and PhD theses and dissertations at my university and other local universities.
- Have been an internal and external examiner for a number of MA and PhD theses and dissertations.
- Was the deputy-editor of the academic journal published by the Center for Development and Quality Assurance (2008-2011).
- Am affiliated to local journals as a language editor of English articles.
- Have participated in committees responsible for evaluating newly opened universities and study programs.
- Have been supervising the development of study programs and courses at the Faculty of Languages in accordance with standards of accreditation and quality assurance
Conferences and Workshops:
|Conferences, Symposiums and Workshops attended:|
|July 31, 2019||Yemen Academy for Graduate Studies, Sana’a||Developing University Vision, Mission and Objectives|
|Nov 28-29, 2018||Sana’a University||Academic Development and Quality Assurance|
|March, 8-10, 2012||TESOL Conference, Dubai, UAE||Achieving Excellence through life skills Education|
|June, 2009||University Education Development Centre, Sana’a University, in collaboration with the British Council-Sana’a||English for the Workplace|
|June, 2009||English Department, Faculty of Languages”, Sana’a University||Evaluating English Programs|
|April, 2008||IATEFL Conference, Exeter, UK||English Language Teaching|
|November, 2007||Sana’a University, in collaboration with the British Council-Sana’a.||ESP in the Developing Countries|
|2006||Faculty of Languages, Sana’a University||American Literature|
|2005||Faculty of Languages, Sana’a University||Business Communication|
|2004||Faculty of Languages, Sana’a University||Globalization and ELT in Yemen|
|2001||CIEFL, Hyderabad, India||Teaching English in Multilingual Contexts|
Research and scientific papers:
|Volume 25, Issue (4), December, 2019||Journal of Social Studies, University of Science and Technology. Sana’a- Yemen||Translating Arabic Verb Patterns from Arabic into English: A Morpho-Semantic Study (Third Author)|
|Volume: 7 Issue: (3), July 31, 2019||International Journal of Comparative Literature and Translation Studies. Australia||Exploring Strategies of Translating Metaphor from English into Arabic with Reference to Scientific Texts (First Author)|
|Jan. 2018||Global Journal of English and Translation Studies, Aden University, Aden, Yemen||Cohesive Reference in English-Arabic Translation of Business Texts|
|Dec. 2016||Sana’a University Journal for Educational & Psychological Science, Sana’a, Yemen.||Workplace Written English in Yemen: A Class-based Analysis of Accident Reports|
|2011||A Chapter in Current Developments English for Work and the Workplace: Approaches, Curricula and Materials, IATEFL, UK||Teaching Business English in Yemen: What and How?|
|2011||Journal of English for Academic Purposes 10/3 (2011) pp. 200-202, UK.||Review of Current Developments in English for Academic and Specific Purposes in Developing, Emerging and Least-Developed Countries|
|2009||A Chapter in Current Developments English for Academic, Specific and Occupational Purposes in Developing, Emerging and Least Developed Countries, IATEFL, UK||The Status of ESP in Yemen|
|2008||Professional and Academic Newsletter, IATEFL, UK||Review of New Inside Out (Pre-intermediate Student’s Book)|
|2008||Professional and Academic Newsletter, IATEFL, UK||Review of The Business (Pre-intermediate Student’s Book)|
|2005||TITAS Journal, West Bengal, India||Review of English Idioms in Use|
|2003||Business Issues Newsletter, UK||Review of Cambridge Business English Activities|
|2003||JEFL Journal, Hyderabad, India||Motivation in EFL|