Ali Saief Abdo Kolaib
Associate Professor, Department of Economics & Finance, Faculty of Commerce and Economics, Sana’a University
• PhD of Philosophy in Economics, 2008, from the Faculty of Economics and Political Science, Cairo University, on a message entitled “The impact of Yemen’s accession to the World Trade Organization on the services sector: an applied study on the financial services and tourism sectors.”
• Master of Economics in 2003, from the Faculty of Economics and Political Science, Cairo University, for a message entitled “The Macroeconomic Impacts of Yemen’s External Debt”.
Bachelor of Economics 1992, Faculty of Commerce and Economics, Sana’a University.
• Vice Dean of the Faculty of Commerce and Economics for Student Affairs, Sana’a University, for the period from February 2013 to July 2016.
• Associate Professor of Economics, Department of Economics, Faculty of Commerce, Sana’a University (continuing).
• Dean of Student Affairs at UAE International University from December 2016 to June 2018
• Coordinator of the Expert Group of the General Union of Yemeni Workers 2014. (continuous).
• Member of the Board of Trustees of the Yemeni Academy of Graduate Studies, 2014 (continuous)
• Economist at the Economic Observatory for Studies and Consultations (2013)
• Economist of the Network of Arab Organizations for Development (Beirut, Lebanon). (Continuous)
• Economic consultant to review the survey form and field work manual in accordance with the principles of the Directory of Statistics of International Trade in Services and Direct Foreign Investment issued by the United Nations Statistics Division for the period from October to November 2014, which is implemented by the Central Bureau of Statistics with funding from the Islamic Development Bank.
• Economist of the Civil Strengthening Network (May-June 2014), in a team that prepared a document describing the economic and social foundations and the rights and liberties section of the new Yemeni constitution. It is presented as a proposal representing civil society organizations that are members of the Civil Strengthening Network of the Constitution Drafting Committee.
- Local economic expert to prepare a study entitled “Integrated Program Made in Yemen”, prepared by the Office of Consultant for Studies and New Technologies (Multimedia Technology), within the working group of the Kingdom of Morocco Ministry of Industry and Trade 2009.
• Local counterpart in the first phase of preparation of industrial development strategy in Yemen Ministry of Industry and Trade, 2009.
• Trainer for participants in civil society organizations and specialized centers K Media Forum, Center for Economic Information, 2008.
- Economic Policies and Governance Trainer.
- Within the team of Economic Observatory for Studies and Consulting Trainers “for training conflict-sensitive strategic planning”.
Supervisor of a number of graduate students at the Department of Economics, Faculty of Commerce and Economics, Sana’a University, (continuous)
• Head of the Secretariat and Financial Affairs Department at the Cultural Center in Sana’a for the period 1983-1988.
• Acting Director of the Cultural Center and Head of the Department of Students Affairs at the Cultural Center in Sana’a from 1989 to 1991.
• Deputy Director of the Cultural Center in Sana’a for the period from 1991 to 1994.
• Administrative Manager of Azal Contracting & Engineering Co. for the period from January 1995 to March 1996.
• Demonstrator, Department of Economics, Faculty of Commerce and Economics, Sana’a University, for the period from February 1994 to May 1997.
Studies, research, conferences, and workshops:
• Participating in a special working paper for the Republic of Yemen at the fifth annual meeting for coordination of industrial development policies and programs in the Arab countries held in the Kingdom of Morocco in May 2009,
• Participated in a research paper in the symposium on rationalization and food security in Yemen (for a safe food future) established by the Association of rationalization of consumption in August 2010
• Preparation of feasibility studies, specialized reports for the private sector and some centers 2010.
• Preparation of a research paper on the investment performance of the retirement funds of the armed forces and security 2011.
• Preparation of a research paper on the economic importance of ICT and the reality and the prospect of a high tax on this sector. Within the first conference for communications and information technology in Yemen 2012.
- Review of the Arabic version of the study: Working children in the Republic of Yemen: The results of the 2010 National Child Labor Survey November 2012. For the ILO.
• Participation in “Regional Workshop to Launch the Second Arab Monitor Report 2014, 30-31 October 2013, Beirut, Lebanon
- Participation and preparation of a study entitled “Proposal for an alternative development model: the case of Yemen and the GCC” at the regional seminar held in Beirut under the title “Reading in the Development of the Arab Countries: A Labor Vision” from 6-7 November 2013 , Beirut, Lebanon.
• Preparation of a study entitled “Economic Options for Yemen towards a balanced human-centered development” in favor of the International Labor Organization and the General Federation of Workers’ Syndicates of Yemen in March 2014.
• Preparation of the Yemen Report on Social Protection, published in the Monitor of Economic and Social Rights in Arab Countries, Social Protection: The Other Side of the State Crisis, 2014. Published by the Network of Arab NGOs for Development
- Preparation of a study for the United Nations Development Program in Yemen within the framework of the Integrated Framework for Trade Related Technical Assistance to Least Developed Countries, entitled “A Sector Study of Services in the Republic of Yemen”
“Diagnostic Trade Integration Study Update”.
Draft, January 2015
• Preparation of a report on the economic rights in Yemen in 2014 for the Yemeni Network for Human Rights. February 2015
- Participation in a workshop on “Problems of Labor Organization and Prospects in the Arab Region, organized by the project” Strengthening the Capacities of Labor Organizations in Arab Countries “, ILO, Beirut, 22-23 May 2014.
• Participated in the 14th Annual Conference of the Arab Organization for Administrative Development, held in Cairo under the title “Cooperation to build resilience to global risks in the Arab region for the period 17-19 December 2014.
• Participation in the workshop held at the Ramses Hilton Hotel in Cairo to launch the Monitor of Economic and Social Rights in the Arab Countries on 20 December 2014.
• Participating in the preparation of a research entitled “Aljawal Activity in Taiz: Status, Causes and Dimensions, Legal and Regulatory Framework, Remedies and Solutions for the Information and Training Center for Human Rights in cooperation with the Center for Special Projects (CIPE)”. “2014.
• Participated in a research paper entitled “Exchange Rate Systems and Policies in Yemen” in a seminar organized by the Economic Observatory in cooperation with the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Capital Secretariat and Yemeni Cashiers Association, Sana’a, 14 November 2015.
• Participation in the Regional Forum “Addressing Social and Economic Inequality: The Need for a New Development Model” held in Beirut from 14 to 16 June 2014.
- Participated in a workshop on “Trafficking in Human Beings in Yemen” within the framework of the regional project “Improving the management of labor migration and combating human trafficking” held in Beirut from 6 to 8 September 2014.
• Attended many conferences and economic seminars during the period of postgraduate studies in Cairo.
• Participated in a research entitled “The requirements of recovery and economic recovery of Yemen” in the seminar organized by the Economic Observatory in cooperation with the Friedrich Ebert Foundation, Germany, Sana’a, October 6, 2016.
• A paper entitled “Social Justice and Human Rights: A Special Reference to the Situation in Yemen”. A working paper presented to the project “Social Justice and Peacebuilding Portal in Yemen” for the Social Democratic Forum and the Friedrich Ebert Foundation, presented in 6 different workshops for the period from 20 October to 24 November 2016.
• January-February 2017 Economic Policy Training under the “Yemen Youth Network” Program Second Generation Organization of the Friedrich Ebert Foundation – Yemen Office.
• Participation of the Economic Observatory team in the preparation of a study entitled “The Impact of Vulnerability and Conflict Conditions in Yemen on the Labor Market through Decent Work”, funded by the International Labor Organization
- Participated in a paper on reconstruction and economic recovery in the consultative meeting on enhancing the role of women in the steadfastness and economic recovery of the members of the Yemeni consensus for security and peace in partnership with Yemeni women leaders, 17-19 September 2017, for the United Nations Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women, Yemen.
• Participating in the study of the economic and social effects of expatriate Yemeni labor. Within the Economic Observatory team. Funded by the International Organization for Migration.
• Prepare a report to assess the humanitarian role of international organizations during the conflict in Yemen. In favor of the Social Center against Illegal Gain. And funded by the National Democratic Fund (NED) in January 2018
training courses :
• Training course on teaching strategies, teaching techniques and assessment methods, from the Center for the Development of University Education, Sana’a University.
• Two training courses in the field of computer (Word) and (E-views) within the requirements of postgraduate and registration of theses Masters and PhD in the Faculty of Economics and Political Science, Cairo University.
• Courses in English Language at the Faculty of Languages and Language Institute of Cairo University within the requirements of registration for MA and PhD thesis at the Faculty of Economics and Political Science, Cairo University.
• Training course on “Investing in Building Arab Integrity” 16 – 21 June 2013 Jarash, Jordan.
• Training course in the preparation of specifications of the course, which was established by the Center for the development of university education in the Faculty of Commerce and Economics, Sana’a University.
• One of the members of the group who visited the Federal Republic of Germany to attend a number of seminars and lectures and to see the experience of Germany in the application of the philosophy of the social market economy, for the period from 20 to 28 August 2013.
• A training course in the field of quality and academic accreditation, held by the Center for Academic Development, Faculty of Commerce and Economics, Sana’a University, for the period from 17 to 21 March 2014.